Kew College is a charitable trust due to the generosity of Mrs Hamilton-Spry
Kew College was originally founded in 1927 by Mrs Ellen Upton in rooms over a shop in Kew. Mrs Upton’s young daughter was one of the first pupils. The school later moved to 26 Cumberland Road and later still expanded into 24 Cumberland Road. In 1953, Mrs Upton retired and sold the school to Mrs Hamilton-Spry (pictured above) who is still remembered with affection by former pupils and some of the current staff.
In 1985, Mrs Hamilton-Spry very generously handed over the buildings to the charitable trust “Kew College” to ensure the long term continuity of the school. We owe a huge debt to Mrs Hamilton-Spry and to remember her we have a Founder’s Day each year in late February/early March, when we celebrate with a day of special activities for the children.
Mrs Diana Lyness became Headteacher in 1992, upon the retirement of Mrs Hamilton-Spry. Under Mrs Lyness’s leadership the school expanded dramatically, first with improvements to and expansion of the
Victorian houses, and then with the construction of two new, large buildings to the rear which house additional classrooms and specialist teaching space. Mrs Lyness retired in the summer of 2009 and is now indulging her interest in Italian art and renaissance history.
The school is now enjoying the next phase of its development under Mrs Anne Dobell who became headteacher at the start of the Autumn 2009 term.